Buttery, crumbly shortbread cookies, just like grandma used to make! Just 3 ingredients and 10 minutes is all you need to enjoy these cookies with a hot cup of tea.
3-Ingredient Shortbread Cookies
Yield: Makes approx. 15 cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two large baking sheets lined with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add flour and continue to mix until mixture forms a soft dough (it will be crumbly at first, but keep mixing and it will form a dough). Form dough into a cohesive ball with your hands.
- Roll dough 1/4-inch thick on a surface dusted with flour or powdered sugar with a well-dusted rolling pin. Cut into rounds and place on prepared baking sheets. Repeat as necessary.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until cookies are pale golden brown. Let cool on baking sheets.
Optional drizzle Lemon Icing ….
LEMON ICING GLAZE
- 1 3/4 cups of confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- the zest of one lemon (or more!)
- 1 tsp of salted butter
- In a large Pyrex measuring cup, the 4 cup capacity ones are the best, combine the sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Now, again, I use salted butter. If you want to add another layer of taste, feel free to toss just a pinch of salt into the mix now. We all know how I feel about salt in icings, such as my buttercream icing recipe. The salt is a necessity to cut the sugar taste and add some complexity past that overwhelming sweet rush. Just the tiniest pinch, depending on how salty your butter is.
- Add in the butter then microwave on high for 45 seconds.
- Take out the measuring cup and whisk until smooth, making sure there are no lumps.
- Let it sit for a few minutes then pour it over your creation.